Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Technology in language arts

I believe I'm a dinosaur (not fossilized) when it comes to technology. However, during years of observing my students in the technology lab, I tend to look at writing as a skill that should be learned manually first. By this I mean that it should be hands on pencil and paper--not hands on a computer. In addition, not everyone has a computer or access to computers. This factor is something that has to be taken into account.

Mr. Marcus' article submits pros and cons, and I can visualize how students can really take advantage of the technology once they have a foundation in writing. Penmanship, spelling and generating ideas are skills that, I believe, can be lost if not practiced. Through the use of technology, there's no need to hand write, memorize words or--think on your own.

Am I a dinosaur?

No comments: