Thursday, July 19, 2007

“The Mystery of Nature”

Isn’t God’s handwriting beautiful? Nature is God’s way of telling us, “Take a moment, stop and smell the coffee.” Visiting the Legacy Foundation was like entering a secret forest where you could mingle with God’s creatures—big and small. I put on my “rose-color glasses” because I didn’t want to miss anything. It was exuberating and awesome connecting with nature—after all, we are part of it. Upon entering the Legacy’s grounds, I felt a tranquility that transcended me back in time to my childhood years.

I’m an inner city kid, but nature has always been in my heart, and I love it. Maybe I feel this way because my mom made it a point to send me to Puerto Rico during my summer vacations. There, even as a small child, I would connect with nature. I learned to admire the beauty, appreciate its calmness and the ability it gave me to connect with my inner self.
Nature has its ever-changing cycle—you never see it the same way; that’s why you need “rose-color glasses” because when there’s a change, you’ll be able to notice it. Every time you look, something new has grown or another thing has left us. Nature is a great teacher of life and death; it has a season for everything.

This is why it is important for our students to learn that they’re part of nature and to appreciate what nature has to offer. Therefore, making them aware of how to preserve nature is something that every teacher can do, and it’s very easy. I like to have my students observe nature, select something in particular then write about it. It can be something as small as an ant and as simple as a leaf. By keeping our students aware of the consequences that we can face when our environment is not cared for, Earth would be a better place.

This spider web has a spectrum of colors. A close-up shows the magnificent work of an expert artesian.

The sun’s reflection on the creek looks like a star shining on its audience.

Taking a break from a hectic day’s work, this beautiful creature rests peacefully on a leaf waiting for its next task.

This ivy has built its home on a strong and coarse tree bark; funny how nature is willing to share its habitat with others.

Can such a tiny dragon fly protect itself from danger? You bet, it’s not going to let anyone stand in its way!

Although man-made, this pond is home to many living and non-living things.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi! You don't know me, but I have been involved with BWP since its inception (until this year). Jeannine suggested I read your blog.

Your post made me realize that, as kids we all seem to connect with nature. What happens when we get older? Why aren't we as "in touch?" Do we get too busy, are other things more important? I don't know... what are your thoughts?

Rays of Light said...

As we get older, we seem to have other priorities, children, husbands, friends, work, and we just don't take out time for ourselves. We think that the world won't go on without us--isn't that sad? However, what we don't realize, even though we're aware of it, is that life is but a blink of an eye. If we don't connect with what God has given us, we're lost. Nature gives us the ability to find ourselves and enjoy the child within us!