Saturday, July 14, 2007

Skeletons Out of the Closet

When doing writing in my classroom, I've observed that most students, the majority, don't reread what they've written. I always emphasize that rereading is an important part of writing because rereading a piece helps the writer come up with more ideas. Students just want to get the writing over with, and they are very easily satisfied with what they've put on paper.

Therefore, in trying to help my students become better writer, I have them read it to me; most of the time they pick up on their mistakes or think of an idea that would show a better picture of what they've written. I also encourage them to use their senses when writing.

I really like Mr. Pressnall's idea of skeletons, it's like cracking sentences open. This is teaching students to use elaboration for short, choppy sentences and making them come alive--showing not telling. This strategy also helps to empower the student with his/her writing because they're being creative on their own; not by someone telling them what to write.

No comments: