Friday, July 13, 2007

Mozartians, Beethovians, and the Teaching of Writing

My ELL students have a very hard time writing. Many of these students lack grammatical, phonetical, and penmanship skills that enable people to write. I've tried all types of stategies in gathering ideas--from free writing to graphic organizers, and they just can't get it together.

We all have different learning styles and, therefore, I agree with Ms. Boehm's statement that "writing is individualistic". Unfortunately, teachers are under a certain time line and pressured to teach subject--not matter. Thus, making us guilty of not allowing our students enought time to develop their individual writing process and allowing the "creator" in them to generate ideas.

However, I believe most of my students, like myself, are Beethovians. The fact that they're learning a second language, and many of them never have had or did little writing, is a critical factor when teaching them how to write. This doesn't mean that I'm giving up on my students. On the contrary, I feel stronger and more confident then ever to start working closer with my students in order to enable them become better writers.

No comments: